"All joy...emphasizes our pilgrim status: always reminds, beckons, awakes desire. Our best havings are wantings.” - C.S. Lewis

Monday, July 18, 2011

A Concert of Worshippers

Concert: verb - to plan or act together.

I went to a concert last night. 56 thousand worshippers – old and young and black and white and rich and poor and gay and straight and extroverted and introverted and happy and sad and healthy and sick – 56 thousand worshippers together in a warm, airless cathedral donning their flip-flops and their fancies with every sense ready to engage in the sights and the sounds and the smells and the tastes of worship.

And did we ever worship.

Arms were held high in unison – waves of arms waving and clapping together – 56 thousand pairs of arms worshipping together. Eyes darting everywhere: taking in the color and strobes and smoke with wonder. Mouths chomped corn-dogs and cotton candy and beer. Ears winced at first and then settled into the thunderous rhythms. And voices sang – they sang liturgies – some 30 years old, some 3 – but all known by 56 thousand voices. Liturgies that cry out: “How long, how long must we sing this song!?!” and “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for”. That confess: “I can’t live with or without you,” and “I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside”. That remember “One man come in the name of love,” that remind us that “It’s a beautiful day – don’t let it get away – it’s a beautiful day!”, and that call us to “carry each other, carry each other.”

56 thousand worshippers at the U2 concert at Busch Stadium last night.

What were they worshipping? Only each heart knows. I’m sure there were some that were worshipping the music, some pastor Bono, some the technology both on stage and in their hands as the whole arena was lit up by the light of smart phones. Perhaps some were worshipping their beer, some their nachos, some the stars. Maybe some were worshiping humankind and the concepts of freedom and justice and love and peace that came from so much of U2’s message. And yes, perhaps there were some, who were just worshipping God – who were reminded through the laments and the lights and the smiles and the wonder and the hope that He sits above it all – orchestrating it all – the author of beauty and grace and music and love.

Admittedly I’m not the biggest U2 fan. I grew up with the “Unforgettable Fire” and “Joshua Tree” albums during my high school years but haven’t really followed closely since. I went, mostly, for the experience. And I wasn’t disappointed. My senses were filled and amazed. But it was much deeper, wider, richer than I expected – so thoughtful – lights for the sake of wonder, sounds for the sake of joy, and the whole liturgical concert for the sake of the story: to tell the true story of life under the sun.

The truth about the way it is – both broken and beautiful. The truth about the way we want it to be – unified, free, honest. And the truth about the way it will be too. U2 drew 56 thousand worshippers into this story last night. And perhaps the church can learn a thing or two from them.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Ah! I was teary by the time I got to the end of this blog entry! Well said, Jay. When I asked if it was a "religious experience" I guess I now know the answer. Another thought...did it make you excited about your future ThM? I'll leave it at that, but I did tell Jen I want to come "help with the girls" when you are gone that particular weekend so I can hear real time reports via Jen or even better, via you. Anywho, glad you had a great time. Thanks for writing about it!

Ashley said...

I mean DMin...unknown territory to me. "D'ja go to to seminary school?"