"All joy...emphasizes our pilgrim status: always reminds, beckons, awakes desire. Our best havings are wantings.” - C.S. Lewis

Friday, February 19, 2010

Lord's Supper for Lent - Baby Food

This morning I was feeding Annie (our 6 month old) and wondering what I would write for today’s meditation on the Lord’s Supper. And so I said a little prayer, asking God to feed our church with the knowledge of our need for His Son and His heart to meet that need. But Annie was hungry – really hungry – so I couldn’t tarry long in my prayer. As I buckled her into her high-chair she sat there like a baby bird with her beak open – so wanting the food that she knew was coming. That’s one of the daunting, yet wonderful things about having little ones: they really need you. She needed the food I had and we both knew it. And thankfully Annie really wants it too. Annie is an EATER! (Don’t know where she gets that from). She loved the Apple/Strawberry mush that I started with – gobbling up the first few bites as if she hadn’t eaten in days. She even giggled a little bit as it was going down which made me laugh. I think she’s really funny.

But of course only half of it got where it needed to go. Feeding a 6 month old can test one’s coordination skills I assure you! As usual, she was wearing as much as she was eating. And it got worse as her hunger began to ease. She became distracted by a balloon across the room and forgot all about the meal for a minute or two. I had to be patient with my spoon. Very patient. There was a lot to do today, but what was more important than making sure my little girl had the food she needed? Nothing, I guess – but I did feel the tension drawing me elsewhere – on to the next thing.

Well, when she finally did resume eating her bites were smaller and even more spilled out onto her bib because of her distraction. So, I decided to change things up a bit. I’d bring out the peas. And when the first bite hit her tongue she grimaced and spit it out. Blah! Oh well, that didn’t work. I admit I was a little frustrated with her as I wiped the green goo off my glasses. She’ll need to learn that there will be days where peas are the only option. But today she had a choice and so I busted out a fresh container of sweet potatoes – another healthy alternative – and she resumed eating. I know that about her. She likes sweet potatoes. Not as much as bananas and strawberry/apple mush, but she likes them still and so she ate until she was quite content.

She’ll be hungry again in a few hours. I know that about her too. And I’m thankful for the opportunity to feed her again, so long as I’m not too distracted to enjoy it as much as I did this morning.

Today I’m thankful. Maybe you are too. Thankful for a God who doesn’t think our neediness is daunting at all. Quite the contrary – he delights in it – never tires of it. I’m thankful for a God who knows what’s good for me – even if it tastes like peas. I’m thankful for a God who is patent and undistracted and eager feed me despite that fact that I am entirely impatient with him and so very distracted by the world that I rarely find joy in the food He spoons out. I’m thankful for a God who likes me…and yes…loves me too. And for a God who knows me…better than I know myself…whose very purpose in sending His son was to make me quite content in Him.

And so my prayer today – for myself and each of us – is that we will be EATERS, plain and simple. Giggly eaters of His grace. Amen.

No comments: