"All joy...emphasizes our pilgrim status: always reminds, beckons, awakes desire. Our best havings are wantings.” - C.S. Lewis

Sunday, June 26, 2011

More!



Have you ever been so close to something glorious that you blush? Perhaps a brush with someone famous or a front row seat to a one-in-a-lifetime concert. You think to yourself: "Wow, really? Am I really experiencing this? Is this really this cool?"

I had one of those moments today.

I held little Jack McKenzie in my arms for a good 10 minutes, and it went by way too fast. I feel myself - even now some 9 hours later - wanting to hoist him up again - see his glorious, God-reflecting smile so close to mine. I just wanted more of him. That's all I can say. I wanted more of him because little Jack McKenzie gave me the gospel today in all its glory and in ways no ivory tower theologian could have. The whole time I was baptizing him, all I could think about was 2 Corinthians 12 when Paul says that "God's power is made perfect in weakness."

See, Jack has Downs Syndrome. But that's not what defines Jack McKenzie. What defines Jack McKenzie is what he showed us all today - in all his 2 year old glory: An ability to receive God's grace, and by doing so - by taking it in - by soaking it up - he showed us the way to be such bold recipients ourselves. There were, I know, lots of amazing witnesses to Christ's love across the globe on this Sabbath day, but I will put Jack's up to anyone - anywhere.

And I got to hold him for 10 minutes! Minutes I will never, ever forget.

Before the service we prayed that God would visit Jack, by His Spirit and break through his brokenness and somehow let him know that what we did today - in baptizing him - was not some religious exercise devoid of real meaning. Nor was it something he had to do to get saved. But I asked that God would - through it - bless Jack. "Whatever that means, however you do it, please God - please - just show this glorious kid your grace."

And he did. And Jack took it all in.

I sprinkled the water. The words were said. A prayer was prayed. And then we began to sing - as Jack's new Covenant family - the doxology over the act.

Jack's eyes were bright - he looked at me and his mama, Brandi. And then he communicated in the clearest way he knew how - via sign language - one word. "More!"

Yes, Jack, "more." God bless you little one. Thank you for showing your pastor and the church and your world the way today - the way to soaking in unmitigated grace. More is coming, little one. More is yours every day. I will pray that you will see it tomorrow. And I will pray that for myself too.

2 comments:

Nathan L said...

You caught the glory of the moment, in writing as much as in person. It was so good--so enjoyable--seeing Jack baptized yesterday. No way I could have felt it was "some religious exercise devoid of real meaning." What a happy baptism!

Mike Hsu said...

Beautiful Jay. Beautiful- looking forward to seeing you in KC later this month.